Ten Tips for Safe Travel in Avalanche Terrain
- 30-45 degree slopes most prone.
- Cross slopes one at time.
- Carry transceiver, collapsible probe, shovel and know how to use them.
- Wear gear with Recco reflectors.
- Avoid leeward ridge sides.
- Slides most common during, right after storms.
- Avoid narrow gullies.
- Stay high on ridges or well into valley floor.
- Beware nature’s warnings: collapsing layers, recent slides, “whumpfing”
- Think it “can’t happen to you?” It can, and might.
Avalanche Awareness Information Fact Sheet (PDF)
White Book: The Movie – RECCO’s 26-minute video based on their popular 36pp. avalanche safety booklet.
[hdvideo id=18 width=580 autoplay=false]
RECCO® Avalanche Awareness – a 6-minute video primer on safe travel in avalanche-prone terrain.